Shakespeare Theatre Company believes that 100% of D.C.’s Public and Public Charter High School students should have access to classic theatre. The arts are integral to the growth of every child, and this access is critical to the well-rounded development of our city’s students. Through District Shakespeare every DCPS and DCPCS high school student has the opportunity to experience the timeless themes and language of Shakespeare and classic theatre in live performance.
Each D.C. Public and Public Charter High School receives, completely free of charge:
- Tickets to attend a SHAKESPEARIENCE Student Matinee
- Buses to transport students to and from the SHAKESPEARIENCE Student Matinee
- Pre-show workshops in all participating classrooms to prepare students to see the play
- Curriculum guides with lesson plans, background information and discussion questions
- Post-show discussion with the cast of the show immediately following the performance
- Two professional development workshops that will provide performance based strategies for teaching Shakespeare in the classroom.
- Tickets to a teacher preview of the show before the student matinee.
District Shakespeare Schools get Ticket Priority until June 1, 2018. Accepting Applications now!
To learn more about participating in District Shakespeare contact Vanessa Hope, School Programs Manager, at 202.547.3230 ext. 2105 or by email.
Click here to view Frequently Asked Questions about SHAKESPEARIENCE Student Matinees.
2018-2019 Student Matinee Performances
History of District Shakespeare
- Beech Street Foundation
- DC Commission on the Arts & Humanities, which receives support from the National Endowment for the Arts
- Paul M. Angell Family Foundation
- Venable Foundation
- Suzanne and Glenn Youngkin
- Shakespeare in American Communities
- Marshall B. Coyne Foundation
- The George Preston Marshall Foundation